Monday, June 2, 2008

George Kirkham




Last month the Relief Society Book Group read "The Price We Paid" about the Willey and Martin Handcart Companies, or other books about handcart pioneers. I read "Recollections of a Handcart Pioneer of 1860: Mary Ann Hafen." I started thinking about my own great-grandfather, George Kirkham (on my Dad's side) who crossed the plains. I called my Aunt Marjorie Russell Mower, in Phoenix, AZ, for a few details. Thought I'd share. He was born in London and came to the United States on the ship William Tapscott. He did not come with a handcart company, but rather with a team of oxen in a wagon train company in 1859...380 saints in 56 wagons with 1 death, 2 births and 19 weddings! He was 7 years old and walked most of the way with his feet wrapped in canvas rags. He arrived in Salt Lake on September 15th and his family (parents and 3 brothers) camped out near the north door of the present day Salt Lake City and County Building, then located in Sugar House for a few years and then settled in Lehi, Utah, where my grandmother, Maude, and my father, Cal were born. George married sister wives...Mary and Sara Russon (my great-grandmother). "George's whole soul was wrapped in music and melody." He played in the Kirkham Brothers Orchestra (4 brothers) all over the Wasatch Front, was member of the old Lehi Brass Band, was a vaudeville singer, took minor parts in Shakespeare and other productions, could step dance and clog in old Dutch wooden shoes, and was a bass singer. In 1893 he was chosen to go with the Salt Lake Tabernacle Choir to sing at the World's Fair in Chicago...traveling by train back along the same route he had walked with the wagon train. They took 2nd place--$1,000. (According to Marjorie, they couldn't give 1st prize to Mormons!) A few years later, he took his two little daughters, Leah and Maude (grandma) on a lecturing tour down to St. George giving lectures on the experiences of the choir along with music by himself and daughters. He directed the 4th Ward Choir (Lehi) for 20 years.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Loved this post. Thanks! Fun to think he passed on a "musical" gene.

Airie said...

I'd have to say we've got some of the coolest ancestors ever. It's always so interesting to read about their lives and feel that little spark of "Gosh! I'm the same way!" inside. Autumn mentioned that you said I look a bit like Maude. Yeah, maybe so! :) Those pictures are priceless! Thanks!

briton said...

right on, George. Robin, looks like it's a family name on our side too. Thanks for the details Mom