Thursday, June 19, 2008

Father's Day Dinner Rolls


Since Briton asked about "In-This-World" rolls...
I’ve had a recipe (newspaper clipping) in my recipe box for at least 15 years for “Out-of-this-World Rolls” that says you don’t need to knead the dough, but you refrigerate it over night. I’ve had a sack of “special” flour (it said “better for bread”) in my cupboard for who knows how long…maybe 15 years??? Airie offered to make rolls for Father’s Day and I suggested the aforementioned recipe and flour. At 10:00pm she made the dough and let it rise for an hour in a warm place (on top of the rotating clothes dryer). At the end of the hour it hadn’t budged and was the consistency of crumbly sugar cookie dough with a slightly unusual odor. We put it in a zip lock bag and put it in the frig. Before going to bed I checked the bag. It was about to explode from the “yeast gas”, but the dough was still lifeless. I opened the bag. On Sunday morning we noticed the texture had not changed, but the odor had definitely ripened! Airie started over, using her own trusty recipe and regular, newly-purchased flour. Later on she got busy serenading us with piano music and forgot to get the rolls out of the frig on time for the final rising. I rushed them out to the patio table on the deck in the close-to-90-degree direct sunlight. All’s well that end’s well. We ended up with rolls that may have only been “In-This-World”, but were delicious. Thanks Airie!

1 comment:

Airie said...

"I've got a hamburder wellington that's out of this world!" Thanks for the compliment!!